Managing categories and tags
Setting up the platform
Being GDPR compliant
- Translating categories and tags is a right reserved for coordinators and system administrators.
- Translating groups of spaces and welcome boxes is a right reserved for system administrators.
- Translating names, descriptions, introduction texts of spaces and translating the wording on space tabs is a right reserved for space administrators and system administrators.
Elium offers users multilingual support on different levels:
- interface (call-to-actions, icons)
- architecture (tags, categories, spaces, tabs in spaces, groups)
- content (title, description and other metadata)
- At the moment the available languages are: English and French by default, Spanish, German, Chinese, Portuguese, Polish, Romanian and Dutch.
- Other translations can be provided on request.
- Users can select the language of their choice. This setting is defined from the first connection and can be changed according to their settings.
Once it has been applied, this setting will change the language of the user interface. Architecture elements (tags, etc.) and content are not translated, unless the environment was programmed by the administrator to provide translations.
The administrator can create and manage a multilingual tag directory. He can translate tags individually from the tag management interface or more systematically with the aid of an Excel translation file. This directory can be downloaded and edited in Excel and reinserted in the platform. The tags and categories are then displayed in the language selected by the user.
We recommend using available free-of-charge translation tools (such as Google translate) as a first step. Revision is then needed to obtain a better result.
Translating a tag
- Go to the administration interface, 'Tags' tab.
- Search for the tag you want to translate.
- Click on 'Change'.
- Perform the translation and save.
Translating several tags with the aid of the translation file
- Go to the administration interface, 'Categories' tag.
- Click on 'Load translations'.
- Download the translation file.
- The Excel file consists of two sheets: one dedicated to categories, the other to tags.
- Edit the column and take care that you do not change the ID columns corresponding to the user name of the tag or category.
Once the file has been saved, go back to the window to load the translation file.
Translating category names is also done from the administration interface. Either individually by editing the properties of the category or grouped from the translation file.
Translating navigation elements
The following elements can be translated directly from the interface:
Names of groups of spaces
- Click on the group settings.
- Use the language menu to generate a translation.
Space name, description and introduction text
- Click on the space settings.
- Use the language menu to generate translation of various texts.
Wording on the space tabs
- Click on 'Tabs' in the options of the space.
- Click on the tab to be translated.
- Use the menu to generate a translation of the wording.
Welcome boxes for the activity feed
Welcome boxes are translated from the administration interface.
Content as such can be translated, in particular metadata and Collections. More information here.