Importing existing documents
Proceeding to imports is a right reserved for system administrators
Mass importing of files and their tree structure is possible in Elium with an import module which can be enabled on request to our team.
This module will be useful for you as administrator if:
- you yourself want to import a tree structure of documents stored in Google Drive (or by using Google Drive as intermediary)
- you want to mass import documents at any time
On the other hand it will not be useful if:
- you are not a platform administrator
- you want to import a large quantity of documents from another existing document database (in-house database, Lotus Notes, etc.) in one go with their corresponding metadata. In this case you better ask for an estimate for a personalized import procedure (analysis & operation performed by us).
How to import documents from Google Drive
Ask the Elium team to enable this plugin. Then
- Click on the new 'Imports' tab that has appeared in the administration interface.
- Click on 'New Google Drive Import'.
If you do not have a Google account yet, the system will ask you to select the account which you want to connect to.
- Folder : By clicking on 'Select' you can access all folder contents in your Google Drive; select the ones you want to import.
- Destination Space : Choose the destination space for the imported contents.
- Content owner : Choose who will be known as the author of the content on the platform.
- Start the import.
- Follow the state (status, size, number of imported files and errors) of your import via the interface.
Dealing with imported files
- Go to the destination space for your import. A new 'Index' tab has appeared. It contains all the imported files.
- You can apply tags to all contents in the folder (and any sub-folders): this allows for quick restructuring of a large quantity of content according to the logic of Elium tags.
- You can also:
- delete the folder.
- move the files in bulk (see below)
Bulk moving and changing the owner
Using the 'Permissions' option available next to the folder, you can move all content from a selected folder (and its subfolders) to another space. This option allows you also to change the owner of the imported files.
Documents from an import do not appear in the activity feed.
Is the number of documents that can be imported limited?
Up till now this plugin is used to recover tree structures of several tens of thousands of documents. So in the first place it is powerful. If there is a problem, our teams can always perform manual imports if required (service on the basis of an estimate).